by Merrick/Fernando

Comic (40 pages)
EUR 24.95

Post subject: Trade Paperback
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:43 am 
Slave Owner

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: Slave Fair
I was curious if there was ever a chance of a trade paperback/collected works of Erenisch's stuff ever being released?

Post subject: Re: Trade Paperback
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:37 pm 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
Nothing printed, only PDFs. Dofantasy used to print some comics by Templeton, Fernando and Roberts years ago, before my time. I believe they don't do it any more. Some of my comics were printed n Hustler's Taboo Illustrated in the US.

I don't think a trade paperback is likely. It would be costly and market is not big enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:32 pm 
Lawmaker

Fave character: Bouncybutt
Fave comic: The Dairy
What about print on demand sites such as CreateSpace? Do they allow bdsm comics? I know for a fact that they allow bdsm books as I have several compilations for sale through that avenue, but not sure about comics. Hell, for that matter, you might want to look into selling on Amazon and places like that. Indie publishing is a huge market right now and it doesn't hurt to put yourself out there on as many places as will accept you. Smashwords is another that I sell on and which definitely accepts comics and bdsm related books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:47 am 
Slave Owner

Erenisch wrote:
Nothing printed, only PDFs. Dofantasy used to print some comics by Templeton, Fernando and Roberts years ago, before my time. I believe they don't do it any more. Some of my comics were printed n Hustler's Taboo Illustrated in the US.

I don't think a trade paperback is likely. It would be costly and market is not big enough.

Taboo Illustrated is actually how I found out about you actually. Found some old issues at an estate sale and the rest is history. And you never know in regards to market.. I mean, there's at least one person who'd buy it *points at himself*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
I tend to agree about the market. T.I. is one of the last remaining profitable X-rated print products on the market and E. is a reader favorite. I think a trade paperback might have a good shot. The problem is finding a publisher who will put some money behind it to promote it right. Not easy for any kind of book these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 am 
The Artist

Not sure if you guys and I mean the same thing with trade paperback. The term is often misused. I cannot possibly do a weekly comic of 20-something pages, certainly not without several other artists helping me out with inking and coloring. If I somehow manage to do that, I'll die of exhaustion in the middle of the third issue. What I can do is a "collection of" or "best of" version of my existing stuff. Maybe a lightened version for mass-distribution...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am 
Lawmaker

Fave character: Bouncybutt
Fave comic: The Dairy
What I suggested with Smashwords would require little extra work on your part and you get distributed to some of the biggest eBook retailers on the web including Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Scribd, Oyster and Apple for FREE! You also retain 60-80% royalties depending on the retailer. All you would need to do it convert your comics to epub files for upload to Smashwords and they do all of the distribution for you.

I've been selling through Smashwords for 3 years now, and I make enough that I've made writing my full-time job. I'm not getting J.K. Rowling rich, but I make enough to live on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
I'm using "trade paperback" in the narrow commercial sense of the word. It's a bigger, more visual package than the usual paperback and in your case would be a collection of images or excerpts rather than an ongoing series of products. You'd be using existing material so you wouldn't have to crank out a lots of new stuff for it, other than perhaps a cover. Because most readers in the U.S. are unfamiliar with your work I think your prodigious library would provide plenty of content for an anthology that would be new and fresh to American readers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:50 am 
Slave Owner

ernestgreene wrote:
I'm using "trade paperback" in the narrow commercial sense of the word. It's a bigger, more visual package than the usual paperback and in your case would be a collection of images or excerpts rather than an ongoing series of products. You'd be using existing material so you wouldn't have to crank out a lots of new stuff for it, other than perhaps a cover. Because most readers in the U.S. are unfamiliar with your work I think your prodigious library would provide plenty of content for an anthology that would be new and fresh to American readers.

That is the definition that I am using as well. You see them all the time in the US in regards to comics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 am 
The Artist

Gotcha. I might do that in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:47 am 
BFA Director

Fave character: Melanie Compter
Fave comic: The Office
The publishing right of your comics is exclusive to Dofantasy? Can you publish it elsewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm 
The Artist

Hellen Vess wrote:
The publishing right of your comics is exclusive to Dofantasy? Can you publish it elsewhere?

I have never given any rights away.