Cosprey
by Merrick/Fernando

Comic (40 pages)
EUR 24.95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:12 pm 
Slave Owner

Fave character: Melanie Compter
Fave comic: The Office
Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of the photo-realistic images you do. They look really good and they help add to the comics. However, it seems like they take longer as well. If you did not do them do you think you would be able to release an extra comic or two each year? If so my vote would be for more content ;). Regardless, great work on Repurposed! I look forward to the other upcoming comics as well!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 pm 
Lawmaker

CommanderThrawn wrote:
Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of the photo-realistic images you do. They look really good and they help add to the comics. However, it seems like they take longer as well. If you did not do them do you think you would be able to release an extra comic or two each year? If so my vote would be for more content ;). Regardless, great work on Repurposed! I look forward to the other upcoming comics as well!

Nah....quality over quantity....every time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:18 am 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
CommanderThrawn wrote:

I am not a fan of the photo-realistic images - they freak me out when they are too real. Even if I was a fan, the idea of a whole extra comic (or more pages in the ones released) to compensate is really compelling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 am 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
CommanderThrawn wrote:

Thanks a bunch. They take longer for sure, but not that long. I couldn't save time enough for an extra comic if I dropped them. A human figure I can do relatively fast if there are no detailed outfits or backgrounds. If I have to do a full illustration that would be devastatingly time consuming. That is why most of the photorealistic images in my comics are just human figures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 am 
BFA Director

Fave character: jugs
Fave comic: Sluts in Training
m113 wrote:
I am not a fan of the photo-realistic images - they freak me out when they are too real. Even if I was a fan, the idea of a whole extra comic (or more pages in the ones released) to compensate is really compelling.

Sounds like uncanny valley, a response people have to photo-realistic imagery of CGI, the brain just knows what we're looking at is fake, and it's something that can be an absolute bitch for artists. I think it was associated with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, which was made several years ago, and I watched I Am Legend the other day and felt it too. It's quite easy to fake environments and non-organic materials (which is why Gravity was so great, and why the other thing that wasn't CGI were the actors)

It'll be interesting if we ever get to a point with all the motion capture and enhanced CGI tools that are being developed.

Oh, and I do admire your ability to capture human forms in such as a realistic manner, Erenisch :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 am 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
I'm not sure if the uncanny valley principle applies to realistic illustrations. Realism in plastic arts is as old as the plastic arts themselves. Nobody looks at a hyper-realistic Roman sculpture or a Caravaggio and feel that it is is "creepy" or "unnatural". I agree, on the other hand, that CGI imaging and animation can have that creepy effect. That is probably because CGI is more like robotics than painting or illustration. CGI artists build 3D models and render their images into a 2D medium, very much like taking photos of virtual robots.

Most of the creepiness in CGI images come from the face, obviously. Human facial expression is so hard to fake. You have better results if you hide the face somehow, and I guess that is why Themobber likes to keep his girls in muzzles most of the time. The unseen part also forces the viewers to fill in the blanks with their own imagination, making the image better in their mind.

Getting back to why some of the readers don't like my realistic images. My first guess would be that they interrupt the cartoonish continuity and take the reader out of the story for a moment. That is why I try to make the faces as close to the cartoon versions themselves. It is a hard balance to strike, so I admit that I fail a lot. In Repurposed, I attempted to use this "interruption" deliberately for the dream sequence. not sure if it worked the way I wanted.

Another reason. Cartoonish images are mostly neutral, they leave a lot to the reader's imagination. I'm sure most of you have unique ideas about how Maggie or Sherry should look like in real life. Remember the forum thread where people posted casting choices for a live action BG movie? There were several candidates for Maggie, Gwen, and Sherry, none looked like the other. So when I get too realistic, it conflicts with your own mental image of the character. That is another reason why I try hard to make the realistic faces as neutral and cartoonish as I can.

Having said that, I will continue to do the realistic images, because I like to do them and it is good exercise. It really helps me learn the craft. You may not notice that immediately, but things I learn from doing the realistic illustrations in turn help me better my cartoonish drawings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 am 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
Erenisch wrote:
Having said that, I will continue to do the realistic images, because I like to do them and it is good exercise. It really helps me learn the craft. You may not notice that immediately, but things I learn from doing the realistic illustrations in turn help me better my cartoonish drawings.

What better reason is there to do them?

Your skill has improved as time goes on. I wonder how your skill level will improve for the next one?

Please don't keep us waiting. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 am 
Lawmaker

Fave character: Tawnie
If it makes you feel any better, E, I went from not liking the photo realistic images to really liking them. I didn't like your photo realistic images when you first started doing them because cartoons are supposed to be representations so in your mind you can imagine them being real, but photo realistic images look more like photographs so it just highlights the parts that aren't realistic. However you have gotten better over the last few comics and they are so realistic that this isn't as much of a problem any more.

But like you said, it does nail down the character's looks more. While I think the photo realistic picture of Melanie in Repurposed is cute, she doesn't look as hot as the photo realistic images of her in The Bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:22 am 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Maggie
Bitch Beater wrote:
While I think the photo realistic picture of Melanie in Repurposed is cute, she doesn't look as hot as the photo realistic images of her in The Bottom.

I agree I thought she looked ugly. Might be personally taste or the purple hair or that she looked very pail. I thought she her non realistic drawing made her look hotter.

However, I very much enjoyed the others and thought they were very well done.