EUR 19.99

Post subject: Bad interpretation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: The Kennels
So in the post about the German assholes, you had said:
Erenisch wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I saw worse interpretations of my stuff around the web (Yes, I too google myself a lot). Nothing to do about this really, except for hoping people feel the need to read the originals.

... Shiiiit I have to ask.

What's the worst interpretation you've seen that you're comfortable talking about?
If that's a bad question, or you don't feel comfortable talking about it, please delete this post.

Post subject: Re: Bad interpretation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:47 am 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
I don't recall a specific one, just instances of extreme misogyny justified by images and dialogue from my comics. I saw a few at 4chan and a lot in tumblr. One was about the Anita/fireworks scene in SF2 and made me feel very dirty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:11 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry, Melanie
Fave comic: BG8, BG11, Repurposed,Karma
speaking of 4chan, here is a post about you.

Please don't shoot the messenger :? :oops:

Quote:
Then there is erenisch, who is a very mediocre (to bad) artist (though he has been improving slightly lately) but whose comics feature an institutionalised slavery theme that hits a lot of peoples' (including my) fetishes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm 
The Artist

Bangerman wrote:
speaking of 4chan, here is a post about you.

Please don't shoot the messenger :? :oops:

Quote:
Then there is erenisch, who is a very mediocre (to bad) artist (though he has been improving slightly lately) but whose comics feature an institutionalised slavery theme that hits a lot of peoples' (including my) fetishes.

Bang! :D

Yes, I remember seeing that one. Believe it or not, the thing that disturbs me in this sentence is the word order. He says "mediocre to bad", and then says gets "improving slightly". So it should be "bad to mediocre artist".

Also, what is "very" mediocre?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:07 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
Good point. Not sure how degrees of mediocrity can be measured. Seems it's a pretty binary thing.

Anyway, no good artist escapes the negative opinions of self-styled critics. It's hilarious now to read things written about writers and artists in their own time whose works are now considered unchallenged classics.

When it came out, Citizen Kane got largely bad reviews. We don't remember who wrote those reviews but we most certainly remember Citizen Kane.

I try to keep that in mind while grinding my teeth over the things that get said about my work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:40 am 
Agent-slave

Fave character: Frankie
Fave comic: The Office
4chan is a cesspool.

(I post there a lot :P )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 am 
Lawmaker

Fave character: Tawnie
Erenisch wrote:

Yes, I remember seeing that one. Believe it or not, the thing that disturbs me in this sentence is the word order. He says "mediocre to bad", and then says gets "improving slightly". So it should be "bad to mediocre artist".

I don't think he means "he is a mediocre artist that is becoming a bad artist". I think what he means is "he is an artist whose work can be classified somewhere between mediocre and bad".

To me, even your earliest comics are far better than anything I could draw. Though I suppose that is a very low bar to top.

ernestgreene wrote:

Anyway, no good artist escapes the negative opinions of self-styled critics. It's hilarious now to read things written about writers and artists in their own time whose works are now considered unchallenged classics.

That is true, but I think it is also important to remember that it works the other way too: sometimes art is loved because it is famous, not necessarily because it is better art. (I was actually just talking about this today with my father). For example, take the book "Treasure Island". I've read it and I think it is an okay book. But if it had been published today it might have sold a few thousand copies and that is it. It would not have been famous. The reason why it became famous is because it was an early pirate adventure tale. It became famous because it cornered the market early.

I think that Erenisch's art and storyline is very good, but one of the reasons why I think that E will be a large part of BDSM history is that E is one of the few (that I know of) artists to make a comic based around a world where female sex slavery is legal and connect all his comics into a single story line. That BDSM world building is what sets E apart. While there may be others who follow in E's footsteps (even now Fernando has created a world, while not as complex as Erenisch's, still has some interesting parts that I like) the fact that Erenisch was one of the first will make E's work famous among the BDSM world long term I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:42 am 
Transcended

Fave comic: BG10/BG8/SC2/Bottom
Well yeah and I think that is the point. You sound like it is somthing trivial.

That't like saying Galileo is only famous because he is the first to figure out the world was a sphere.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:38 pm 
Transcended

Fave comic: The Kennels
samantha wrote:
4chan is a cesspool.

(I post there a lot :P )

I use to be big on the /d/ board. Actually was how I found Erenisch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Bouncie
Fave comic: SlaveCop 2 The Breed
ernestgreene wrote:
Good point. Not sure how degrees of mediocrity can be measured. Seems it's a pretty binary thing.

When it came out, Citizen Kane got largely bad reviews. We don't remember who wrote those reviews but we most certainly remember Citizen Kane.

I try to keep that in mind while grinding my teeth over the things that get said about my work.

My favourite examples of this great things getting bashed bu ignorant self styled critics is the following critique of Beethoven's Ninth Choral Symphony. A piece of music whose quality is now clear to all.

Quote:
But, oh, the pages of stupid and hopelessly vulgar music.The unspeakable cheapness of the main tune Do you believe way down deep in the bottom of your heart that if this music was composed by John H Tarboz of Sandown New Hampshire, any conductor either here or in Europe could be persuaded to pass it in rehearsal?

Take a bow Phillip Hale of the Musical Jouirnal, Boston (1899) for this piece of definitive wrongness

Being in the same boat as Beethoven is never a bad thing for a creative artist :D

The other one is Lord Byron who opined that Shakespeare's name was held "absurdly high" and would soon fall into rightful nothingness

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 am 
The Artist

Rufus wrote:
The other one is Lord Byron who opined that Shakespeare's name was held "absurdly high" and would soon fall into rightful nothingness

I was momentarily flattered when I thought you were comparing me to Beethoven and Sheakespeare, but then I realized that you were actually comparing that 4chan guy to Lord Byron. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:59 am 
Evil Genius

Fave character: Maggie & Melanie
Fave comic: the next one
Then again, the world is full of examples of wrongful predictions of promissed success or lack there of. I believe that it is most transparent in sports. Scouts and managers assess players and then rate them by either investing more money in them (europe) or using a higher draft pick (US). Then players either fail to live up to the hype, or become unexpected stars (ala Tom Brady being picked more or less last in the draft but then emerged as one of the best ever players).

But in sports it's easy to meassure success/quality. You gotta win.

When it comes to art it's a little bit trickier. If you compare Citicen Kane with The Gladiator one could easily argue that that the latter is of better quality due to progress in film making technology, but is it a better movie? (To me the Gladiator is a very predicable movie that plays on so many easy to spot strings in the (stupid?) human brain that it's almost laughable, but the picture quality, scenery, sound etc is truly great.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 am 
Lawmaker

Fave character: Tawnie
MrGoodPecker wrote:
Well yeah and I think that is the point. You sound like it is somthing trivial.

That't like saying Galileo is only famous because he is the first to figure out the world was a sphere.

As politely as I can, I just wanted to correct that to point out that humans had known the world was a sphere for thousands of years before Galileo. Galileo was the one who successfully popularized Copernicus's theory that the Earth rotated the sun.

In science, which is about advancing knowledge, being first matters because you are discovering a secret that others have not yet grasped. But in art, being the best is usually considered more important than being first.

Thon wrote:

When it comes to art it's a little bit trickier. If you compare Citicen Kane with The Gladiator one could easily argue that that the latter is of better quality due to progress in film making technology, but is it a better movie? (To me the Gladiator is a very predicable movie that plays on so many easy to spot strings in the (stupid?) human brain that it's almost laughable, but the picture quality, scenery, sound etc is truly great.)

I liked Gladiator. I think that the goal was to be epic even if the plot was predictable. Avatar is the same way (I think it is basically just a remake of the children's movie Fern Gully except with aliens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccURwir7C_o

I may have to give Citizen Kane another chance. I didn't really get it when I watched it about eight years ago. I would blame that on the fact that it is an old movie (I don't watch very many movies made more than 25 years ago), but I like Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, and Dr. Strangelove.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:38 pm 
Evil Genius

Nothing wrong with liking The Gladiator. Sorry if it came out that way. I was trying to make a point about, just what you said, they were going all out to produce an epic movie - and to a large extent they succeeded. But it is, to me, a film more down to the Hollywood deciding on making an epic and thus putting in their knowledge of making a great movie than, say, someone having an artistic inspiration and tells a good/funny/sad tale. Maybe Titanic is a better example; there's nothing new to tell really, but the execution of the craftsmanship of telling an entertaining tale is marvelous and thus the film is very enjoyable to watch. But the boat still sinks at the end. :shock:

And with stupid mind, I refered to the way we humans are often helped/tricked(?) into liking something by someone deliberate playing on our deep laying instincts (like music in shops, fat and sugar in food, beautiful faces on the covers, etc).

Also, Casablanca isn't a very good example either. At its time, that was a high profile mega project...

I don't know what my point really was. It was all related to the discussion of E's earliest vs latest works. The crafmanship making a great comic has certainly improved, but is it better art? And are the old ones bad because the technique wasn't as advanced as it is now? We can all have opinions, but with art, better quality isn't always better art.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:42 pm 
Harem Owner

Fave character: Anna
Erenisch wrote:
Rufus wrote:

I was momentarily flattered when I thought you were comparing me to Beethoven and Sheakespeare, but then I realized that you were actually comparing that 4chan guy to Lord Byron. :)

I actually think it's a fair comparison. Lord Byron was trolling re. Shakespeare. It's like talking about how you hate The Beatles at a cocktail party.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 pm 
Transcended

Erenisch wrote:
Rufus wrote:

Okay, this is a weird one as I was actually comparing you to Beethoven ( Iwould still go with Ludwig on the music though no matter how good the Juicies comic is :D ) the comparison between the 4chan guy and Byron was unintentional, as at least Byron got his grammar right Also, Byron demonstrably got a lot of things right, we cannot say the same for the 4chan guy.

Thon's point about it being easy to point out such things now is a good one. Just imagine the embarassment of that school teacher who told young Einstein he "would never amount to much". I guess he must have been his maths teacher but even so he must have cringed when Albert collected the Nobel prize and all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:05 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
Rufus wrote:
Thon's point about it being easy to point out such things now is a good one. Just imagine the embarassment of that school teacher who told young Einstein he "would never amount to much". I guess he must have been his maths teacher but even so he must have cringed when Albert collected the Nobel prize and all

Yes but how many people have used the adversity as a means of excelling. How many people put in extra effort just to say - I'll show you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:59 pm 
Evil Genius

Not to many. Mostly because I fear that the teatcher is often right on with the assessments. :?

And I don't know if this - I'll come back with a vengence - is so common either. I believe it's mostly down to being lucky with your suroundings. Or maybe I'm simply to blinded by my own experince...

Where I grew up, the was some years of mandatory school followed by an (semi-)optional 2-4 years of school, before you could apply to a university (to get even more schooling for 3-6 years), if you had the grades for it. The last 3 years in the mandatory school I was given the lowest grade possibly, bar failing, in maths. At that time I hated school, and school hated me back. Looking back, I was an asshole and deserved all got. Funny thing though. In all maths test we did during those three years, I had one fault. One. Over three years.

Turns out that I was a (somewhat) gifted child, and was mostly bored with the simple school. After leaving the mandatory school and going to another school for the optional extra years (where you supposedly would learn a profession) I suddenly found my self recieving top grades. After one year of growing up/maturing and most important a change of surroundings I suddenly became an A-student. (With my exelent grades I then went on to uni and studied, among other things, very high level maths, even progressing into research/science :ugeek: (although not in maths, and I will never get a Nobel prize 8-) ).)

It's worthwhile to note here that no teatcher ever branded me usless or stupid. They settled for; lazy, troublemaker, asshole, evil, or similar. Mostly they just wanted me to shut up and stop causing havoc. Rightly so. Some actually was angry at me for wasting potential. I just felt they were anoying idiots all of them. Wish I could go back and say I'm sorry. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:51 pm 
The Artist

That Einstein anecdote is overrated I believe. Everybody everywhere must have heard someone utter similar discouraging words during their lifetimes. Some of these people eventually become great men and women.

I don't think teachers will stop scolding miscreants in their class in the off chance they grow up to be Nobel laureates.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm 
Transcended

Erenisch wrote:
That Einstein anecdote is overrated I believe. Everybody everywhere must have heard someone utter similar discouraging words during their lifetimes. Some of these people eventually become great men and women.

I don't think teachers will stop scolding miscreants in their class in the off chance they grow up to be Nobel laureates.

All very true and teachers will continue to employ dark sarcasm in the classroom because they are usually decent judges of their pupils and the example of Einstein is clearly a one off.

Einstein, though, was truly terrible at Maths and needed his wife to do the sums for both Theories of Relativity so that was probably true.