Comic (49 pages)
EUR 19.99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 am 
Agent-slave

Fave character: Melanie Compter
Fave comic: The Bottom
So, Cidade do Diabo 1 is finally published!! :D :D

Cidade do Diabo 1

This is my second comic series (after Bad Lieutenant with Arieta) and first time collaborating with Lesbi K Leih. I really really enjoyed working with LKL and had lots of correspondence back and forth as the comic was sketched, inked and coloured. I also collaborated with Otherguy on the editing and lettering and it was a pleasure as always to work with him.

As I wrote in an earlier post today I was surprised and excited to learn that LKL has sketched out all of the sequel already and has managed to fit the remainder of my original script into the standard comic length. I had feared it would take three instalments to complete but apparently not! I hope that the comic is well received as I have plotted out quite a lot more beyond this script and would love for it to continue further.

There are many similar themes with the Bad Lieutenant series so if you like those you'll probably like this but it's got (I hope!) quite a different flavour and this is very evident in the artwork. LKL's art is vibrant, expressive and colourful even in the darker areas - there's one scene in a dark pedestrian underpass (that leads tantalisingly to a beach) and the colour really pops.

The comic is set in Rio de Janeiro and in particular in a (fictitious) favela high in the hills overlooking the city. I've always been fascinated by Brazilian favelas (and in fact I have one particular character mocked for expressing such a fascination even though she's pretty much exactly how I'd probably be!). We follow several characters and their interactions with a notorious gang led by a charismatic boss. We see these characters at different stages of their involvement. Some we get to see involved in the action right away, for others they are introduced but their real tribulations await...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
I had the pleasure of reading this comic just now and loved it. Especially the party scene I liked a lot, even though it kinda preempts one of my future stories (!). Worth of note there is a big difference between Arieta's and Lesbi K Leih's styles- Lesbi uses a brighter color palette and bigger panels, which makes the story easier to follow. I congratulate both Lesbi and Triona/Robinja on a job well done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:10 pm 
Agent-slave

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words and I'm so glad you liked it! :D

Erenisch wrote:
Especially the party scene I liked a lot, even though it kinda preempts one of my future stories (!)
:oops:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:39 pm 
BFA Director

Fave comic: The Office
Usually I only buy E material on Dofantasy, but the portuguese title catched my atention. After a little research, I found this topic!

I didn`t knew you had published material Triona, I`ll look for your previos work xD

Oh, and I`m impressed how well you represented my country (in a fictional way of course). The atention for the details is something I rarely see when "gringos" are representing Brasil, you clearly made your research ^^. But some portuguese words in the text end up very strange. I mean, are the speaking in english and mixing a few portuguese words, or they are talking in portuguese between then and the text is translated for the reader? If it`s translated, why some words are still in the "original" ?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 am 
Agent-slave

Thanks Hellen!

I suppose the idea is that all the native Lusophones would be speaking to each other in Portuguese and this is "translated" for the reader only with a few words and phrases left in the original for effect/flavour. So for example when Zé says to Thiago "Mind these for me Mermao" I hope that feels a little more "Brazilian" than "Mind these for me Bro'" likewise when Caetano says to Fernanda "Nossa Senhora!" instead of "For Crying out loud!". I was also hoping that, when Amalia is warning Clarissa, "Irmazinha" conveyed a little more protective intimacy than "little sister".

Hellen Vess wrote:
Usually I only buy E material on Dofantasy, but the portuguese title catched my atention. After a little research, I found this topic!

I didn`t knew you had published material Triona, I`ll look for your previos work xD

Oh, and I`m impressed how well you represented my country (in a fictional way of course). The atention for the details is something I rarely see when "gringos" are representing Brasil, you clearly made your research ^^. But some portuguese words in the text end up very strange. I mean, are the speaking in english and mixing a few portuguese words, or they are talking in portuguese between then and the text is translated for the reader? If it`s translated, why some words are still in the "original" ?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:46 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
I bought this one instantly. Strong story-telling with some subtle complexities that give it a unique atmosphere. And LKL's art seems perfectly synchronized with the tone and content of the narrative. Nice work by all.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 am 
Agent-slave

Thank you so much! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 am 
Harem Owner

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: bottom
I liked this comic. The party is a good scen as people say.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 am 
Agent-slave

Thank you loonyfive!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:59 pm 
BFA Director

Fave comic: The Office
So, when will we be able to buy Cidade do Diabo 2 ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:45 am 
Agent-slave

Hellen Vess wrote:
So, when will we be able to buy Cidade do Diabo 2 ?

It's "in production" at the moment. All pages are sketched out and LKL is inking but I haven't seen any of the inked pages yet. LKL managed to fit all of the rest of the script into the second part which I'm pleased about as I thought that CdD1 only got to around a third of the way through the script and worried that it would take three volumes to do. There should be more story in this second part. I have plenty more plotted out including some stuff that was right there in my original outline for this story that I just didn't get to by the end of the CdD1&2 script. Probably the next thing on my to-do list is to write the script for CdD3 (&4?).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:37 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: BG10/BG8/SC2/Bottom
I liked this comic a lot obviously but I have an advice on future comics. You should make the titles catchier. I am a native speaker of Spanish and I do understand Portuguese. But I think most of the customers of Dofantasy will find it very foreign. just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:04 pm 
Harem Owner

Fave character: Maggie
Im French, i don't speak Portuguese at all but i have understood the title pretty easily.