by Merrick/Fernando

Comic (40 pages)
EUR 24.95

Post subject: Fifty shades trailer.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry, Melanie
Fave comic: BG8, BG11, Repurposed,Karma
Hey forum, I have just watched the 50 shades trailer and wondered what you guys think about it? Anyone read the books?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZWFDs0LxA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:05 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Bouncie
Fave comic: SlaveCop 2 The Breed
Bangerman wrote:
Hey forum, I have just watched the 50 shades trailer and wondered what you guys think about it? Anyone read the books?

I watched this earlier and my thought was this looks like making the same errors that the awful filmic version of 9 1/2 Weeks did i.e go for sanitised action and dull characters. I have never read the book but those people I know who have, say it is awfully written.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: The Kennels
I tried reading the first book, and barely got two chapters in. The characters don't actually exist or look like anything. Imagine Twilight, but without the mysticism, the images of what the characters look like, and without the surprisingly good soundtrack.
Then there is the addition of the questionable BDSM practices, which I couldn't will myself to get to.

Also, the magic of the red room kinda dies when my little friend and her master have so many more toys in their pink bedroom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:28 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
It's nearly impossible to make a good movie out of a bad book (though the reverse isn't nearly as challenging). These books are truly, truly awful in so many ways I can't even begin to describe them, though I had to for reviewing purposes and did it with a clothespin on my nose.

Knowing that the movie is being made with the author enjoying approval rights on just about everything, I wouldn't expect much of it.

There is also a lot of negative buzz out here from the production itself and widely held suspicion that Universal is suffering a lot of buyer's remorse and won't try very hard to promote it. R-rated pictures are seldom profitable in theatrical exhibition because they exclude a lot of the core movie-going audience (a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy on the movie industry's part, as if you only make stuff for a PG-13 crowd that's the crowd you'll get while the grown-ups stay home and watch serious drama on cable TV, where it's found a strong niche). The FSoG picture comes with some particular handicaps all its own. The author had approval rights on both the script and the screenwriter, which means the books dismal vision will be carried over into the film. The books have also generated a rabid fan base that seems largely unhappy with the casting and bad word-of-mouth from that crowd is box-office poison.

Then there's the problem of actually depicting anything much that happens in the books. Boring as the sex is, it's still sex and American movies are very leery of that. A lot of theaters won't screen a hard R picture, much less one saddled with an NC-17 rating, so don't expect to see much action in this thing.

My prediction: three weeks on three hundred screens nationwide. A strong opening weekend driven by fan curiosity followed by a second-weekend implosion as the fan audience rips it apart. Then, straight to cable and DVD. The books will continue to sell and make James even richer, but the movie was a bad bet to begin with and if I'd been an executive, I'd have passed on it. There's an old saying to the effect that no executive was ever fired for saying no. Whoever green-lighted this mess is going to look out his office window one day soon and see his name being scraped off his parking place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:58 pm 
Transcended

Just tried looking at romances that had the R rating. The best two examples I could think of are the film Secretary, which made about (combined gross in USD) about 9 million, which is hitting that thin line of probably a loss. The film Shame made 17 million, which would be a success only because the film production was so small.

It helps lead into Mr. Greene's mention of the film numbers, but more important, reminds people of the films Secretaryand Shame, which are both perfect replacements for this... thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 am 
Transcended

Fave comic: BG10/BG8/SC2/Bottom
I don't think I will go see it, but I am happy to see these kind of themes in mainstream movies by big studios. From the trailer I liked the main girl. She looks attractive and innocent. The guy otoh looks like a suit model right from the pages of a fashion magazine. I am nNot impressed with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
As ernestgreene said the rating can pre-determine what happens.

Not interested and not watching. I haven't read the book either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:20 am 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
Well, personally I hope it makes money. Ultimately it would make my life a tad easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:02 am 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
Erenisch wrote:
Ultimately it would make my life a tad easier.

Now that kind of comment is just plain EVIL!

I am naturally now curious as to why/how?

Increased interest generally in BDSM comics or something more RL related?

Evil, Evil, Evil!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am 
Harem Owner

Fave character: Anna
m113 wrote:
Erenisch wrote:

Evil, Evil, Evil!

Erenisch is married to E.L. James, and 50 Shades was originally written to show him that "I can do it, too". One was destined for artistic success, the other for commercial success.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:10 pm 
Transcended

Flav wrote:
m113 wrote:
Erenisch wrote:

Evil, Evil, Evil!

Erenisch is married to E.L. James, and 50 Shades was originally written to show him that "I can do it, too". One was destined for artistic success, the other for commercial success.

Orrrrrrr
This will bring in more submissive minded or submissive curious women into that whole maledom BDSM thing, and one google search leads to another and then you end up buying a ton of comics.

Though if it's the first one, well you could have helped her out E. Seriously at the very least explain proper BDSM dynamics, or at least show her words other than "perfect"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:02 pm 
Supreme Being

I'm afraid that particular author is beyond help. Her battles with the English language aside, she clearly had little interest in getting things right, only getting them sold.

Hate to see that so well rewarded, but that's the nature of popular publishing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:34 pm 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
Flav wrote:

So, this makes me a blonde swedish photo model, gay-married to E.L. James? :D

no comment.

What I meant before is, these kind of projects are likely to increase interest in the material and enlarge the market for the product I'm creating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Bouncie
Fave comic: SlaveCop 2 The Breed
What I am about to do, does not come easily to me but I crave the indulgence of my fellow sickos in this controversial idea.

I am about to say something nice about E.L James and these dreadful books. They could be worse. I warn you all here and now that this movie is a far more stupid, far worse thought out and downright offensive to anyone in any way into BDSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXW4JmLPBME

It starts off quite well but then. . . the story gets very silly. Very silly indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Heather
Fave comic: Fam Slave Set & The Bottom
Didn't 'Fifty Shades' start off as 'Twilight' fan fiction?

It must be better than it's inspiration!

(right?) :(

OBEY MALE AUTHORITY!
Everything is about Sex except Sex. Sex is about Power! - Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm 
Harem Owner

Fave character: Anna
Dr. White wrote:

That's actually a bloody good question. Twilight is a fairly conventional teen romance, written by a non-writer with a lot of weird kinks who belongs to a restrictive religion. There's a certain cynicism, though, to 50 Shades that Twilight mostly lacks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:38 am 
Agent-slave

Fave character: Frankie
Fave comic: The Office
Flav wrote:
Dr. White wrote:

That's actually a bloody good question. Twilight is a fairly conventional teen romance, written by a non-writer with a lot of weird kinks who belongs to a restrictive religion. There's a certain cynicism, though, to 50 Shades that Twilight mostly lacks.

I'm happy having never read either. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:30 pm 
Supreme Being

Wish I could say that. My work requires me to read whatever is currently faddish where kink is concerned and thus I had to wade (slog is more appropriate) through at least the first of the FSoG books.

However bad you might imagine them to be if you haven't read them, trust me, they're worse than that. Went through about half a gallon of brain bleach scrubbing out all those bitten lips and inner goddesses.

But what really bothers me is how much money this junk has made. I was never confident of the public's taste, but I would have thought there would be some level of sheer awfulness at which they would balk.

Foolish idealism on my part.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:50 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry, Melanie
Fave comic: BG8, BG11, Repurposed,Karma
so now the movie is out, anybody seen it? I'm not too enthusiastic about it but I will prob go see it if I hear a few positive opinions 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:10 pm 
Prize Show Cunt

Location: On all fours at the men here’s feet, like a good female.
Fave character: Kimberley Muttson
Fave comic: Sluts In Training 1
Bangerman wrote:

Tried to read the first book. It made my head hurt it was so badly written. Hell, all it is is a badly written fan fic with names changed and such. A thing with too much hype (remember how they hyped that song 'it's Friday' same sort of hype). I will not be seeing the movie in fear it is as bad as the book.
If people want good fiction about a woman submitting to a man I would say read or watch the movie version of the story of O.

Though it did produce a few fun images online.

Attachment:
NEipmaW.jpg

Attachment:
aj 50 shades of hay.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.