Devil Incantation 2
by Feather

Comic (50 pages)
EUR 19.99
The Hidden
by Slasher

Comic (25 pages)
EUR 12.95

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 pm 
The Artist

Fave character: Sherry & Maggie
Fave comic: The last one.
Rufus wrote:
I have to say it isn't my favourite movie as I will never forgive Fincher for killing off Hicks and Newt (though a 9 year old girl would have no place in that setting) they could have contrived it without brutally and thoughtlessly killing her off.

Let me establish my geekitude here.. Alien 3 wasn't supposed to have any female characters at all. Original story was set on a monastery planet with an all-male cast, but the executives didn't like it. They wanted Ripley to be written into the script. So it was done, very very awkwardly, and I guess it was impossible to insert Hicks and Newt too.

(Note that the prisoners wre very religious in the final story, a leftover theme from the original monastery script. They are practically monks with their shaven heads. I guess they didn't want to throw away the original concept designs)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:40 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
Aliens 3 had all the earmarks of a movie made by committee - never a good thing. Fincher himself disowned it and refuses to discuss it in interviews. That is far from common in this business.

Personally, I thought it was a clinker - dull, predictable and visually unappealing.

However, I do think what little life it had reposed in Ripley's character and her brief romantic involvement. For a few minutes, it was like an actual movie there. Yet another tribute to Sigourney Weaver's acting skills.

I can't imagine I'll find much agreement with this one, but I actually enjoyed Alien Resurrection. They really had nowhere to go with the franchise to they went for comedy and Weaver's deadpan delivery of her lines was spot-on. It was totally her movie and, unlike in Aliens 3, she looked like she was enjoying it as such.

I don't like attaching political labels to entertainment films (unless they're basically political films to start with and generally satirical) but I'd say Ripley is pretty much a feminist icon where commercial movies are concerned.

Of course, all the action takes place in some indeterminate future on various distant planets, which I guess makes it okay for studio execs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Bouncie
Fave comic: SlaveCop 2 The Breed
[quote="Erenisch"Let me establish by geekitude here.. Alien 3 wasn't supposed to have any female characters at all. Original story was set on a monastery planet with an all-male cast, but the executives didn't like it. They wanted Ripley to be written into the script. So it was done, very very awkwardly, and I guess it was impossible to insert Hicks and Newt too.[/quote]

To establish my geekitude here may I point out that the Ripley character was originally written as being male. This is why she is so "strong" and that much of an irritating "more than my job's worth" in the original movie. The only "written as female" character is Lambert and see how she compares to Ripley in the move. If Ripley is a feminist icon it has more to do with James Cameron totally revamping the character or perhaps blind luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:30 am 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Melanie Compter
Fave comic: The Bottom
Rufus wrote:
To establish my geekitude here may I point out that the Ripley character was originally written as being male. This is why she is so "strong" and that much of an irritating "more than my job's worth" in the original movie. The only "written as female" character is Lambert and see how she compares to Ripley in the move. If Ripley is a feminist icon it has more to do with James Cameron totally revamping the character or perhaps blind luck.

Could also be that SW came into be cast for another character and impressed JC so much he just had to cast her as Ripley. :idea:

Last edited by FringeThumb on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:14 am 
The Artist

Yep. Similar gender conversion happens in Starship Troopers as Dizzy Flores turns female and falls in love with the protagonist. And now Thor is female too. I'm still waiting for Doctor Who to go for it.

Ernest mentions Resurrection and of course I love it too. It is where Joss Whedon resuscitates the story, and more importantly you can see the idea of Serenity taking shape in his mind.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:31 am 
Agent-slave

Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica is another gender-switch character

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:46 am 
The Artist

triona_b wrote:
Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica is another gender-switch character

I was trying to establish my geek cred, but I forgot that obvious one! Shame on me.

Here is a couple more to save face:
In the remake of Bedazzled, Devil turns female.
Dr. Watson goes Asian chick in Elementary.

also worth of note, that gender-switch episode of Red Dwarf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:12 pm 
Transcended

Erenisch wrote:
I'm still waiting for Doctor Who to go for it.

Well there is always Missy. That went down very well, considering the gravity of what Moffett did with a well known character.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:54 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: BG10/BG8/SC2/Bottom
Funny how the 50 shades topic turned into a science fiction topic.

I'm learning so much. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 am 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: The Kennels
Rufus wrote:
Erenisch wrote:
I'm still waiting for Doctor Who to go for it.

Well there is always Missy. That went down very well, considering the gravity of what Moffett did with a well known character.

And if the BBC were ok with the Doctors gender, Alex Kingston would have been the Doctor

MrGoodPecker wrote:
Funny how the 50 shades topic turned into a science fiction topic.

I'm learning so much. :lol:

What did you expect from us geeks? :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:44 pm 
Agent-slave

samantha wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/16/8046157/fifty-shades-of-grey-feminism
Haven't seen it yet, and prob I won't, but this is interesting.

Quote:
Ana talks to her roommate about her classes
Ana talks to her mother about her college graduation
Ana talks to her roommate about finishing college and going out to celebrate
Ana talks to her roommate about making a sandwich
Ana's roommate talks to her about her valedictorian speech.
Ana talks to Christian's mom about dinner
Ana talks to Christian's mom about what she's studying

Ok, so I finally saw this movie and boy are they overselling this supposed "easily passing the Bechdel test" in this article. 99.9% of Ana's conversations with other women are about Christian Grey including some/all of those mentioned above. These "conversations" are just passing comments leading into or just after a discussion about Grey or, in the case of his Mom, are conversations to which Grey (and others) are direct parties and not really one-on-one conversations at all. If this movie passes the Bechdel test it's only by the merest of technical margins. Though I wouldn't fault this film for failing the test - there are plenty of other reasons to fault it! - because it's basically a romance story and the only characters that matter are Ana and Christian Grey, it would be surprising if she didn't mainly talk about him to others.

Ana talks to her roommate about her classes - in the same discussion about interviewing Grey
Ana talks to her mother about her college graduation - Actually Ana talks to her Mom about her Mom's husband's golf injury meaning she'll miss the graduation
Ana talks to her roommate about finishing college and going out to celebrate - in the same discussion about her meeting with Grey plus this celebration includes their male friend José
Ana talks to her roommate about making a sandwich - actually Ana makes a sandwich while talking about Grey and her roommate eats the sandwich
Ana's roommate talks to her about her valedictorian speech. - Ana mentions the speech because Christian Grey is also making a speech at the graduation and bla, bla, bla Christian Grey bla bla bla
Ana talks to Christian's mom about dinner - when they are both standing right beside Grey who is a party to the conversation and also subject of the same conversation
Ana talks to Christian's mom about what she's studying - actually she doesn't. She does tell Grey's Mom that her own Mom lives in Savannah GA though but this is while everyone is sitting around the table including Grey, Grey's Dad and his brother.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
I doubt a test could be devised that this awful movie could pass, other than biggest box-office smash ever made from completely vapid and silly material. Hm, actually that's a pretty tough test considering some of the competition.

Nina and I went to see it out of a feeling of obligation and afterward all she could say was that we'd just lost two hours out of our lives that we can never replace.

Actually, Dakota Johnson is rather charming and given a decent script could probably give a credible performance. She's certainly likable, which is more than I can say for James Dornan, who was so wooden in this thing they had to check him for termites between takes.

I do credit the director with trying her best to suck the venom out of E.L. James toxic portrayal of D/s material (for which I believe she'll be replaced on the sequels after a number of harsh exchanges with the imperious author) but it's still basically about a relationship between a clueless girl and a whacked-out stalker with enough money to cover his tracks. It would have made a better slasher movie than a romance.

All in all, I suppose it's better than gum surgery if you have to make a choice, but I'd give the latter some serious thought first.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 am 
Supreme Being

celestical wrote:
And if the BBC were ok with the Doctors gender, Alex Kingston would have been the Doctor

Actually there is a precedent for a Time Lord taking the form of another known character. Romana (originally played by Mary Tamm) switched to the form of the Princess Astra (Lalla Ward) immediately after the princess was out of the current storyline (and Tamm decided to quit the show).

Wouldn't it have been interesting if the Doctor, after his wife's death, decided to memorialize her by taking her form. Alex Kingston would have completely owned the role.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm 
Agent-slave

ernestgreene wrote:
I doubt a test could be devised that this awful movie could pass, other than biggest box-office smash ever made from completely vapid and silly material. Hm, actually that's a pretty tough test considering some of the competition.

Nina and I went to see it out of a feeling of obligation and afterward all she could say was that we'd just lost two hours out of our lives that we can never replace.

Actually, Dakota Johnson is rather charming and given a decent script could probably give a credible performance. She's certainly likable, which is more than I can say for James Dornan, who was so wooden in this thing they had to check him for termites between takes.

I do credit the director with trying her best to suck the venom out of E.L. James toxic portrayal of D/s material (for which I believe she'll be replaced on the sequels after a number of harsh exchanges with the imperious author) but it's still basically about a relationship between a clueless girl and a whacked-out stalker with enough money to cover his tracks. It would have made a better slasher movie than a romance.

All in all, I suppose it's better than gum surgery if you have to make a choice, but I'd give the latter some serious thought first.

Yeah, lots not to like!

His behaviour is basically stalking, you're right. It would work so much better as a conventional slasher/thriller because it has the right setup for that type of story but then..... nothing interesting happens.

Funny thing is, Jamie Dornan actually plays a manipulative & charming serial killer on the TV show The Fall and does a pretty good job with it. He is obviously capable of decent performances, particularly if he doesn't have to work so hard to hide his strong Northern Irish accent, so I'm going to go ahead and blame the story/script even if Dakota Johnson does a better job with it.

So many things took me out of the story. I can suspend disbelief up to a point but nothing rung true about any of it.

The most obvious thing they got wrong, which ties into what you say about the author's toxic view of D/s, is the Dominant himself. The whole attraction of a character like that is that sense of ease and mastery. This should be the sort of guy who radiates that he knows exactly what he's doing, is completely comfortable in any situation and just has that assuredness. Apart from maybe the very first meeting, you didn't get any of that from Christian Grey. Because the author wanted to go with the standard story beats of a Romance novel - heroine redeeming the badboy/tortured soul - she pretty much abandoned his sense of assurance as soon as Ana got to know him and layered on all this ludicrous "reasons" for how "twisted" he is. So inconsistent as well. Near the end when she asked why he wanted to "hurt" her he did nothing to convey to her why she might enjoy it even though he had already struck her with the crop at this stage so there was some reference point. Gah!

So many more annoying things, too many to mention! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 am 
Transcended

FringeThumb wrote:
Wouldn't it have been interesting if the Doctor, after his wife's death, decided to memorialize her by taking her form. Alex Kingston would have completely owned the role.

My take on that was the Doctor after his "New haircut" (coded euphemism for regeneration?) only gave her his sonic screwdriver so he could return just after Ten had left the Library and "download" her again. And Alex Kingston is a far more credible companion to Capaldi than she was to Smith despite the great exchanges they had. Capaldi needs her "reasons why you suck" speeches far more than Smith did as he is a far looser cannon.

We have not so much derailed this thread, as transported it lock stock and barrel to an alternate dimension. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am 
The Artist

I'm convinced that the movie has no redeemable qualities, so I'll be ignoring it like I did with the books. But I am rather amused with the prolonged outrage about the 50 Shades phenomenon. I don't claim to bepart of the BDSM community, but even if I was, I wouldn't be this worked up. I think the espionage community has greater reason to be pissed off over James Bond movies.

From what I saw (trailers and promotional clips) the lead actress is very cute and attractive. I think she was a good cast. Sadly, she will always be remembered with this role unless she can find a way to shake it off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm 
Transcended

Erenisch wrote:
From what I saw (trailers and promotional clips) the lead actress is very cute and attractive. I think she was a good cast. Sadly, she will always be remembered with this role unless she can find a way to shake it off.

Do you mean that Dakota Johnson may spend the rest of her career "in bondage" to her character in this movie? That would be ironic (and not in the sense portrayed by the Alanis Morrisette song)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 pm 
Supreme Being

And here is a psychological look at BDSM. Guess they had to get something out for the movies release.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-wide-wide-world-psychology/201502/the-surprising-psychology-bdsm

I'd never heard sub space called "transient hypofrontality", and I'd never even considered dom space as a concept, or to be the same as "flow" (even though I've read the Csikszentmihalyi book on the subject).

Learn something new everyday. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:58 am 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry, Melanie
Fave comic: BG8, BG11, Repurposed,Karma
FringeThumb wrote:
And here is a psychological look at BDSM. Guess they had to get something out for the movies release.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-wide-wide-world-psychology/201502/the-surprising-psychology-bdsm

I'd never heard sub space called "transient hypofrontality", and I'd never even considered dom space as a concept, or to be the same as "flow" (even though I've read the Csikszentmihalyi book on the subject).

Learn something new everyday. ;)

I think trying to pronounce the name Csikszentmihalyi can put someone in a state of transient hypofrontality.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:11 pm 
Transcended

Fave character: Sir Humphrey Appleby
Erenisch wrote:

Dr. Watson goes Asian chick in Elementary.

That is just one of the reasons that show doesn't work for me. The Sherlock & Watson relationship always seemed a 'closer than a brother forged in times of trouble' type. The gender switch kind of ruins it on a conceptional level.

I do love Sherlock. Looking forward to the BBC Christmas episode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next