Cosprey
by Merrick/Fernando

Comic (40 pages)
EUR 24.95

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:47 pm 
Evil Genius

Fave character: Maggie & Melanie
Fave comic: the next one
The artist should always strive to evolve, I agree with that. But at the same time, the fans may not like the new direction. And some people have a hard time with any kind of change. Still, both parties has a right to do 'there thing' - the artist to change and the fan to salute or complain about it. It's the name of the game. If you're lucky enough to have fans, you've got people emotionally attached to your work and that means that every action will cause a reaction, good or bad.

Regarding the shorter comic question. In theory I would not have any problem with at shorter comic, even if it meant a slightly higher price per page. Time to market could be reduced, giving me more frequent fixes. It would probably enable the artist to explore more ideas as there's less need of tying pieces together to keep a red line within the comics story.

On the other hand, I don't want a simplified story line. And two short releases vs one longer would require the artist to conjure up with twice as many [good] ends. And normally good ends are hard to find. E has so far excelled at creating awesome ends. I would say that the end [twist] is almost a trademark of an Erenisch comic. The two Fernando efforts we've seen so far certainly disappoints in that department, not really ending but only had a small 'to be continued' text box at bottom of the last panel. Now, E isn't Fernando and might well solve it in an other way, but I would certainly not want to do without unexpected twists and a clear narrative end at the last page! The shorter format leaves less time to set up the twist/end and also less room to draw it.

I'm not sure that more frequent but blander fixes is the right way to keep me hooked.

--

Also, nice to hear that Fernando is well and all. Thanks for sharing Ernest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 pm 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Sherry
Always happy to deliver good news.

And I agree that not every change of direction by any artist will meet with fan approval. That's a risk that comes with the occupation. But the alternative is stagnation, which also leads to declining popularity. If I made the same movie or put out the same magazine every time, eventually I'd lose my audience completely, as seeing the same thing over and over, no matter how much you may have liked it at one time, gets tedious.

I actually liked Stairway to Heaven - the first ten thousand times I heard it on the radio. Now I instantly hit the off button when I hear the first three-chord progression.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:58 am 
Supreme Being

Fave character: Melanie Compter
Fave comic: The Bottom
ernestgreene wrote:
I actually liked Stairway to Heaven - the first ten thousand times I heard it on the radio. Now I instantly hit the off button when I hear the first three-chord progression.

Know it all too well, except in my case it's a flavor. Loved Doritos salsa verde tortilla chips and ate them practically every day for around six months. Unfortunately, just the smell of salsa verde alone now makes me gag. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:44 am 
Evil Genius

Fave character: Maggie & Melanie
Fave comic: the next one
Well, I might try to guess what you both are trying to say, but your examples are a little bit strange. We aren't debating wether releasing BG8 over and over again. 8-)

I would like to compare it with things like the 5 minute guitar solos in rock songs that lasted 10minutes or more from the 70's, or that the typical length of feature films went from 90 minutes in the 80's to 120 minutes in the 00's.

We, or at least I, are discussing format, and possibly what impacts formats may have on the content. How something similar to the disappearance of A and B sides, and lately also the album, have impacted content. The basic creative action is still there, artist are writing songs, it's the packaging that has changed, and it has influenced the end-product in some ways.

I'm for longer comics, and believe that a novel probably wouldn't be such a bad idea. Not all that keen on 3D animations. Actually, the BG-series can be seen as a looooong comic released in shorter episodes. But as most successful series, it works best if every episode is both a stand alone story as well a a tie in with main story arc. And I think E has done a marvellous job at that so far!

So what is the illusive perfect length then? 10, 20 ,30, 40, 50 or 60 pages. I don't know. My best answer would be - what ever the narrative for that episode requires. As I understand it, the target set from Dof is 40 pages for a € 20 comic. E repeatedly fails to adhere to that (my kind of failure E :D ), putting in more than 40 pages in every episode. And although otherman argued that the Bottom could well have been half as long, and I might have something similar to say about Slavecop (1), I don't believe the extra pages was put in by our bellowed artist just to fill out some space. Thus, my take on E's comics so far, is that the page number length is mainly story driven.

With the € 13 charged for a 25 pager (Twins 5), and € 25 charged for a 60 pager (Cheerleaders 9), Dof has opened up for leaving the fixed €20 for a 40 pager, and begun moving to a more differentiated prising. Maybe they should drop the 40 page target altogether, set a price per page and let the artist create episodes, or one offs, with lengths based purely on narrative needs. (The 'price per page' ratio would have to differ from artist to artist though, but I won't debate that here, as it's mainly concerns other artists.) I'm no sales guy, so I cannot judge if they then put themselves at risk for messing up their market.

I could probably accept very low numbered comic, but I want a story in there. With a setup and an end. If the artist can do a meaningful two pager, and Dof charges for a two pager, who am I to complain? And if it links up with other releases, I'll be as happy as can be!

In any case, I certainly wouldn't like E to stop releasing new stuff. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:34 pm 
Harem Owner

I didn't buy the new Fernando comic yet - partly because the new price is off-putting (50% of the content for 75% of the price), partly because of the negative reviews and partly because I made the mistake of reading the DoF preview, which gives most of the story away as usual - but I don't think we should use Fernando as an example.

Fernando's stories did improve a lot a while ago - as we learned later, he had started to write them himself, instead of just illustrating whatever Nuria gave him. Total Control used a completely new and interesting setting, some characters in the Twin series got more fleshed out, the stories got some more complicated twists and weren't as predictable. Plus the "Uncut" experiment was a nice idea.

But with Total Control 2 and the latest episode of Cheerleaders, he seems to be back to his old formula of long (admittedly very hot) sex scenes held together by a minimum of plot. Plus celebrity cameos (which I think is a legal minefield, but hey - it's his money).

Delivering a good story when you have only half the space available takes a lot of storytelling skills. I think Fernando simply hasn't proven yet that he has those skills. Erenisch, on the other hand, has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:15 am 
Transcended

Fave character: Melanie
Fave comic: BG10/BG8/SC2/Bottom
I think E proved that he/she can do single pagers with the holiday special with Santa sherry :)